Tuesday evening May 15th, Iona McGregor Fire District recognized several of our own for their dedication, years of service and achievements. Chief Howard added to our ranks our newest “Honorary Firefighter”, Gavin Lawrey – with a uniform shirt and oath of service.
Afterword everyone enjoyed refreshments and time with family to celebrate. Blessings and celebration to all our district family… be safe, and thank you for everything you do!!!!Continue Reading CELEBRATING OUR OWN
Whatcha think? The date was May 21st/22nd early morning on C-shift.
Fire fighters were awaken from their sleep after a car accident occurred just down the street from their station! The first arriving emergency crew of 3 personnel arrived to find the occupant trapped under a car which had also ignited due to the vehicle impact. They acted quickly, removing the occupant and evacuating him to a safe area. Only moments later, the vehicle erupted in flames and a subsequent arriving emergency unit was able to extinguish.Continue Reading An opportunity to serve… and give thanks!
Fire service professionals recognize the elevated risks faced by older adults, and NFPA®’s innovative video starring Tom Bosley helps you deliver solutions to the community. We hope to teach seniors practical strategies for avoiding fires and falls — leading causes of preventable injuries for seniors.” Continue Reading We hope our senior population knows we care about their safety…
How to Use a Space Heater Safely
Half of all home heating fires happen during the months of December, January, and February. Our experts, as well as the pros at the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers and the National Fire Protection Association, offer the following safety tips:
- Place the heater on a hard, level, and nonflammable surface. They are intended to sit on the floor and not a table.
- Establish a 3-foot kid- and pet-free zone around the heater, and never put a space heater in a child’s room.
- Keep the space heater at least 3 feet away from such combustible materials as furniture, bedding, and curtains.
- Don’t use a heater in a workshop or garage near paint, gas cans, or matches.
- Turn it off when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Unplug the heater when not in use by pulling the plug straight from the outlet. Check the cord for damage periodically, and don’t use it if it’s frayed or worn.
- Don’t plug another electrical device or an extension cord into the same outlet as a heater, which can cause overheating.
- Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home, and test them monthly.
The world we live in today has changed the face of what it is to be a firefighter. In the photos below firefighters from the Iona McGregor Fire District took part in a multi agency drill in the City of Ft myers. The idea is to recreate a major incident in practice which gives our personnel opportunity to work with surrounding countywide organizations for potential response to emergency events which would otherwise overwhelm any one responding locality.Continue Reading The New Reality for Firefighters…
PLEASE…. be careful when choosing and using a real Christmas Tree
Each year tragedy strikes when families become careless or
neglect simple safety rules for real trees.
Here are tips to prevent this very preventable type of residential fire.
Choose fresh over cheap and dry. The fresher the tree, the less likely it will pose a fire hazard. Look for flexible needles that don’t break, and a trunk with sap.
Keep the water coming. The tree stand should contain a continuous source of water and be sturdy enough to resist toppling by kids or pets.
Don’t choke the cord. Attach only three maximum strings of lights to any one extension cord, then place cords along walls to prevent a tripping hazard. Never run them under rugs or carpets.
Trees don’t need warmth. Keep the tree away from heat sources such as fireplaces, candles and even a TV.
Not any lights will do. Use low energy, safe lighting that’s been certified by a safety testing lab. Don’t use damaged or frayed cords.
Shut the lights.Never leave the lights on overnight. Same goes for any appliances not in use when you are home or away.
Don’t keep a dry tree around. Dispose of it at this point properly. Don’t even keep it in the garage.
Artificial tree safety awareness. Artificial trees should be flame resistant and have a seal for an approved safety testing laboratory if the tree contains a built-in lighting set.
Death by artificial tree. If the tree is metal, never use electric lights, as they can charge the tree and lead to electrocution.
Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Make sure everyone knows its location and how to use it.